Content thumbnail GeneralMills Global Responsibility Report
AI Content Chat (Beta) logo

Fiber packaging: General Mills sources 100% of our fiber packaging from recycled material or from virgin wood fiber regions where there is demonstrably low risk of any deforestation. In 2021, 99% of our fiber packaging supply is considered at low risk of contributing to global deforestation because the packaging uses either recycled materials or virgin fiber that is sourced from regions where deforestation is not occurring. The remaining 1% is sourced from countries considered at high risk, particularly China. We’ve assessed suppliers in China to better understand certifications in use. Our fiber purchased from China is only sourced from suppliers that have Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) Mix certification or better, which will be maintained. Looking ahead: While we must focus on deforestation-free ingredient streams in the near term, this is nested in a larger strategy that works toward the acceleration of regenerative systems. Within tropical forests the regenerative approach brings focus to farmers, forests, and soil by looking at holistic systems to examine both planetary and community resilience within a particular landscape. This approach encourages mixed agroforestry, creating a polyculture and fostering biomimicry, leading to enhanced soil quality, better- managed water retention, and increased carbon sequestration within the forest. The regenerative approach also encourages capacity-building activities within local communities to focus on smallholder training on forest practices, economic resilience, and social inclusion training to regenerate livelihoods. Due to the challenges posed by key agricultural commodities such as palm oil and cocoa coupled with our scale and position in the supply chain, we recognize that moving to a regenerative approach is complex and will take time, as well as engagement with partners. Since 2019, General Mills has provided philanthropic support to PUR Projet to drive long-term forest protection and restoration by improving cocoa farmer livelihoods. Through work with smallholder farmers, PUR Projet has identified the urgent need to restore forest cover and strengthen economic resilience in key General Mills cocoa sourcing regions in West Africa, including Mont Peko buffer communities in Cote d’Ivoire and Kakum National Park in Ghana. With a goal of addressing deforestation in these regions, our PUR Projet partnership supports ecosystem restoration by engaging local communities through the introduction of diversified agroforestry and tree nurseries, while simultaneously launching complementary community-based activities that support the long-term success of tree planting initiatives, carbon sequestration, and ecosystem service-oriented activities through community empowerment and income diversification and generation. Combatting deforestation through farmer resilience r Farmer training on planting and maintenance in Ghana For more details on PUR Projet’s initiatives in cocoa, please find more information here . Community-run agroforestry and community- owned tree nurseries Income diversification through beekeeping and fish breeding Improved cooking stoves Environmental awareness and community resource management Impact studies on ecosystem services and farmer livelihoods GENERAL MILLS GLOBAL RESPONSIBILITY 27 Food Planet People Community

GeneralMills Global Responsibility Report - Page 29 GeneralMills Global Responsibility Report Page 28 Page 30